Friday 17 August 2012

Is The Pandaren Racial OP?


Eats, Shoots and Leaves

I must firstly apologise for the bold above. I honestly love that Panda Joke!! I must admit when the Pandaren race was announced I didn't really give it another thought. I mean they look cool, the girl Panda's really do have something about them (!) but more than anything I didn't really look into the racial traits.

I was mindlessly consuming the internet this morning over my usual cup of coffee and I navigated my way across to the official Blizzard Mists of Pandaria Site. More specifically across to the Pandaren page where you can read up on all that is Black and White. There was nothing really of interest and I was on the bottom of the page, scrolling up and on the right I noticed the Racials so I thought I'd have a look.

"Ummmmm Ling Ling, We Have a Problem!"

The racial that caught my eye was Epicurean. At this point I urge you to hold your mouse over that link to get the wowhead tool-tip...... stop...... rub your eyes...... stop again..... re-read it...... and we shall continue.

A double food buff! Yes a DOUBLE FOOD BUFF!

The Argument That This Isn't Over Powered?

Since the creation of our beloved game Blizzard has had racials that certain classes would be stupid to ignore. Alliance rogues for example would to totally stupid not to roll a Worgan for their 1% Crit bonus. Some will argue that Blizzard will have this 1% figure in mind so if a rogue eats Agility food this will balance out - ie. it will equate for 1% crit after eating the food.

The Argument That What I have Just Written is Like Saying "Hunters in low level PvP are totally balanced!"

Unfortunately what I wrote above is a little nutty. I had to at least try to provide a balanced argument or I could be accused of QQing because my current race is Draenei. In the above example of the 1% Crit we are forgetting a few important things. Firstly yes the double agility food buff would provide Crit to that sneaky little rogue but it would also provide attack power as well thereby increasing baseline DPS and Crit in one full-tummy'd swoop.

At the moment there is no race in the game that would give a dynamic racial. What I mean by that is standard racials are stat X increased by 1% and these tend to be a haste buff, or an avoidance buff etc etc, they have never been a core stat (Strength, Agility, Intellect, Spirit and not to mention Stamina as well!) and you've never been able to pick which one you get.

What I Get a Strength Double Buff AND a Stamina Double Buff?

If the tool-tip provided is true then yes! Assuming food stays as it has been: "Eat for 10 seconds and provides 90 Strength and 90 Stamina for 60 minutes" - then you will get a double double!

So What Does This Mean?

For the average: "log in, run a dungeon, run an LFR, fish for 20 minutes, auction and log off" type player this means nothing at all. In fact I'd go as far to say as it means less than nothing! For the progression raider however this means so much that you might be spending more money than you though in Mists of Pandaria.

I firmly predict that this racial will cause a lot of players to level their toon to 90 and then race change to Pandaren - forcing them to part with another hard earned £15.00. Either that or we will see an OVER OVER populated starting zone for Panda's on Launch day due to people abandoning their mains in favor of same-class-but-more-cuddly alts.

For Protection Warriors however it will depend on our core stats and if our current racials provide us with either more avoidance, hit or stamina depending on what we will end up stacking. I will keep you informed of what Races it's best to switch from in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment